Monday, February 28, 2011

Recipes Galore...

  Hello folks!! Sooo....how many of you like to experiment with new recipes? I know I do...if I find one that I think looks tasty I copy it down, cut it out, or print it off.....and then they get stuck in a drawer etc. & forgotten about. So I decided to sort through all of those recipes & begin the process of elimination....as I try each recipe if we like the dish the recipe stays & gets filed away properly, but if not into the trash it goes! Since my husband & I both love to cook I think this is going to be a great way for us to spend time in the kitchen together. Anyway we tried our first dish on Friday night & we both thought it was a keeper. So here is the recipe if you would like to try it....was also really simple to make!
{Enchilada-Zagna}
     2-3 cooked, boneless,skinless chicken breast halves, cut into small pieces
1 can (28oz) or 2 cans (15oz each) mild red enchilada sauce
1 (8oz) container sour cream
1 can (12 fl oz) evaporated milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (4oz) can diced green chilies, undrained
1 pkg (12 tortillas) 7" corn tortillas
 Combine enchilada sauce & sour cream. Combine milk, cheese & chilies in a saucepan. Cook over med heat, stirring constantly until cheese has melted. Remove from heat. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Spread 1 cup of enchilada sauce mixture on the bottom of the pan. Layer with 4 tortillas, 1 cup enchilada sauce 11/2 cups chicken & 1 cup cheese sauce. Repeat layers twice. Cover with foil & bake @ 350* for 40 minutes. Uncover & cool for at least 10 min. before serving.


Since I hardly ever follow a recipe to the letter; adjusting it to fit our taste I used mexican cheese blend instead of cheddar, medium enchilada sauce instead of mild( I think I'll use hot the next time, we like spicy & it wasn't very) & just regular 2% milk instead of evaporated. I also melted mozzarella cheese on top right before I took it out of the oven. We ate it just like that with salad, but you could top it with lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc and it would be delicious!! 
~ Sheila 


2 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome to the blog world. Your recipe looks wonderful. It's really hard for me to write a recipe down because I am a dump and pour cook too. Can't wait to see more.
    p.s. I deleted the last comment because it had a typo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful. I can't wait to see what your next recipe will be. I'll be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete