Monday, November 28, 2011

Buttery Rosemary Crescent Rolls

  A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Daren's family was together at his parent's house yesterday afternoon for lunch and everyone brought a dish to help out with the meal. I love to bake bread so I had offered to make that. 
  I wanted to make an herb-y type of bread for something different. I searched for awhile to find a recipe for what I had in mind and never did find exactly what I was looking for, but found a few that gave me some ideas to go by. I ended up making the Crescent Rolls that we served at our wedding and then just tweaked them to get the end results I was hoping for. 

Buttery Rosemary Crescent Rolls
 Yield: 24-32 rolls
 1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
2 cups warm milk
6 cups flour
3/4 cup butter, softened

Dissolve yeast  in warm water. Add milk, sugar, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Mix well {I mixed them in my Kitchen-aid and it was great! } Add butter and rest of flour. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Divide dough in half. On a floured surface roll each piece into a 12" circle. Cut into 12 or 16 pie shaped wedges. Stretch the wedges a bit wider wider and longer. Roll up from the wide end. Lay on greased cookie sheet point side down. Let raise 1 hour. 
Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with a little course salt and fresh or dried rosemary. Bake @ 350* for 15-20 minutes. Brush with more melted butter and let cool.
mmmm...fresh-from-the-oven bread
   Since this made 32 rolls and I was to fix for 30 or so people I thought I would probably need a little more.....so I baked a loaf of French Bread on Saturday night and then Sunday before we went to his parents I beat an egg and brushed it on top of the baked loaf of bread. I then layed some sprigs of fresh dill  across the top and brushed a little more egg wash over it to make sure they stuck. Bake @ 350* for about 5 minutes or until the egg wash is no longer runny. I was in a hurry and forgot to take pictures of the finished product :/ so the description will have to do this time.....It did look really pretty =)

.....................................................................................
Enter His gates with thanksgiving
and His courts with praise;
give thanks to Him and praise His
name.
For the Lord is good and His love
endures forever;
His faithfulness continues through
all generations.
~ Psalm 100:4&5   

Blessings, =)
♥ Sheila  

1 comment:

  1. These are gorgeous. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete