Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gingerbread Waffles

  I don't always cook breakfast; in fact, more often than not, we just have a bowl of cereal or yogurt etc...but I was in the mood for something a little more and I had seen this recipe somewhere not too long ago. Thought they had to be delicious so I decided to give them a shot. Oh goodness! and were they ever!! We both thought they were amazing....they just may become our Christmas morning tradition.

Gingerbread Waffles
 yield: around 14 waffles
  4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups flour
2 tsp ginger
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
whipped cream & fresh fruit, optional *

With mixer beat the eggs until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar, molasses & buttermilk & mix until well blended. 
Sift together flour, spices, salt, baking soda & baking powder. Add to the egg mixture & stir until smooth. Stir in butter. Cover & refrigerate overnight or cook immediately in a waffle iron until golden brown. Serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit if you like.
* I didn't have whipping cream on hand so we used mascarpone cheese that I had mixed a small amount of honey in, fresh fruit & also a little drizzle of maple syrup
 
  I just made a half recipe for us and we had plenty. Stuck the leftover ones in the freezer for a quick breakfast in the future. Pop them in the toaster until heated through...almost as good as  fresh-made. =)


..................................................................
For a Child will be born to us
a Son will be given to us...
And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God, Eternal Father, 
Prince of Peace.
~Isaiah 9:6

Blessings of love & peace!
♥ Sheila      

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of gingerbread, but this sounds tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These could go on a list of my favorite things! Joyce and i had pumpkin waffles on the way home from PA and have been talking about making some ever since, we'll have to have you join with your gingerbread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM a huge fan of gingerbread and these look delicious!! But alas... my family(Bill and the boys) aren't big gingerbread nuts. I may have to make them for my extended family sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete