Monday, January 23, 2012

Spanish Rice

  As I had said in my last post, Daren's ceviche started a serious craving for mexican food. It was almost dinner time and I just HAD to have something to satisfy that craving since I wasn't really digging the ceviche. I absolutely love spanish rice and have to make sure I get it every time we go out for mexican. I found two recipes that sounded like they should be fairly similar to the restaurant style and quick to make. This is what I made.....

Spanish Rice
1 cup uncooked jasmine rice {or you could use white long grain}
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves minced fresh garlic or 1 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
fresh lime juice

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add rice and fry, stirring constantly until puffed and golden. While frying add onion, garlic and cumin. When the rice is ready, stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Squeeze a bit of fresh lime juice over top and serve.

  This tasted as much like what I usually get at a mexican restaurant as any that I have ever eaten that was homemade. It was just the fix I needed ;) In fact I enjoyed it so much that I forgot to take pictures. But I had just enough tomato sauce left that I made it again the next evening with quesadillas {yep, still craving mexican=)} and got a picture then. I like to heat mine up a lot {as in make it really spicy} and this is THE BEST hot sauce!! Daren picked it up at the mexican market as well. 

   Needless to say it probably wasn't the best thing to be eating since I've been fighting heartburn, but it was definitely worth the pain.....

....................................................................

Give all your worries and cares to God,
for He cares about you.
1 Peter 5:7

Enjoy your day! =)
♥ Sheila   


 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, this rice looks good!!! Can't wait to try it! I had that Mexican craving thing down pat when I was pregnant with Collin!:)-Lou

    ReplyDelete